In counseling we look for what we find good in ourselves. The good can be used as a model for the things we would like to change.
Counseling is a change (growth: healing) process in which people (individuals and groups) are helped to:
• express themselves (catharsis) in a safe, supportive, collaborative, non-judgmental climate;
• identify, sort-out, clarify their problem laden "stories" (deepened awareness of past & present story and alternative future stories)
• identify non-helpful patterns (e.g. "crisis" pattern);
• learn, where appropriate, more helpful coping skills (e.g. "assertive skills")
• identify and achieve goals that are important to them.